Greg comes to visit!

My cousin, Greg, came to visit us in Germany! We picked him up at the train station in Heidelberg. We were all pretty hungry and found this really interesting restaurant to eat dinner at (pictured below). They had pictures of sheep everywhere so Kurt opted to try their lamb :) It was good!

We then hiked up to the Heidelberg castle. Here is Kurt and Greg.

Part of the Heidelberg castle ruins.

Kurt overlooking the Nekar River.

Greg and I enjoying the view.

Downtown Heidelberg at dusk.

Greg and I went to Mainz (pronounced "mines"). Greg wanted to get a hat but we never found one. This cathedral held many ancient relics. Greg showered us with gifts and insisted they were also belated wedding gifts. I know Doug will be envious to hear we got huckleberry jam! Greg also brought wine and chocolates from Oregon and a book of the Wind River Mountain Ranges! It was awesome! This was the church at Idar-Oberstein. It was built into the rock and the only way to enter is to go in from a tunnel. Legend has it that it was built by a knight in atonement for killing his brother.Here we are at the "Schnitzel Haus". It is the best place around for this dish so we HAD to take Greg there before we left :)
Greg testing the local German wine.

Kurt and Greg jammin out on the guitars ;)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Connie! Everytime I see your blog I am amazed at how adventurous your lives are. Sorry it's been so long. I miss you!

Anonymous said...

Hey!

Who is the nerd with all the camera lenses?...oh, that's me!

Had a fun time! I will get you some pictures when I get my prints developed and scanned!

Thanks for being such excellent hosts!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I think that was the castle where a German prince conquered his brother's kingdom, put his brother in some room and told him he could leave whenever he wanted to. Unfortunately, his brother was too fat to fit through the door and eventually died, not from hunger but overeating.