Patience

As many of you know, I have been trying to get a job here in Germany as an RN since I arrived last August. I finally got a job offer on labor and delivery in January... but I am still in-processing and awaiting my start date. This last year has probably taught me more about patience than my whole 25 years put together.

I've always been used to planning and organizing things to such an extent that if any unforeseen event occurred (ie. life) then it was like a tidal wave, hitting me full force. I was never one to "pencil" something in. Instead, I would use a chisel and etch it in stone. If any of you reading this are familiar with military life, you know that this is not how Uncle Sam allows his military families to live. It would be better to not even pick up the pencil and instead, just mark plans in the gathering dust on your agenda book. In fact, don' t even do that. Just get a cup of coffee and start your day. Plans change.

When we wrestle with those changes, we are really wrestling with what God is allowing to take place in our lives. He planned our days long before we came to be and here I come marching in with my rock and chisel, assuming I am in control! Think again Connie. God tells us " What I have said, that I will bring about; what I have planned, that I will do" (Isaiah 46:11).

If I look back on this past year, I can see that in all His wisdom, God knew what He was doing. Imagine that! What I viewed as a barrier has actually been a blessing. Since I was such an idealist, I had imagined that I would be able to move away from my family, live in a new country, learn a new language, figure out how to be a wife, work as a team with my husband (marriage, finances, home, emotions, family, etc), work full-time, grow stronger spiritually, get involved in a new community, meet new friends, move again, have a spotless home and a warm dinner on the table every night and still have time for all my hobbies and relaxation. God must have had a good chuckle at that. He forced me to take it step by step, and as a result, I still have all my hair and I don't yet have a straight jacket with my name on it. Instead, it turned out pretty good! I've had the opportunity to volunteer as an RN for our wounded warriors, which leads me to another lesson I've learned. If you get up and want to go into work each day, even though you know you won't be paid or that you could be doing something else, that's when you know you're following your heart.

Not only have I learned patience and flexibility but in effect, I have also learned to trust God's timing and His control over my life. I am far from perfecting this... but I've come a long way from where I started. "Many are the plans of a man's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails." (Proverbs 19:21)

1 comment:

Karla Behunin said...

7/24/08
Hi Connie,
I am in Alaska helping out Katy and Tim (and Isabel) for a couple of weeks. I dont get a chance to look at blogs because of our slow internet access at home (the pictures take forever to download), so this is my first time looking at yours.

I am so impressed by your wisdom and reflection of what God is teaching you. What a lesson you have learned!! And what growth you have grown!!! You have such a open, cheerful heart. God must be so proud of you!!

It is so good seeing you and Kurt and hearing about your adventures. I will be checking in from time to time, when I have access to faster internet, to see how you are doing.

Blessings to you both,
Love - Karla Behunin :)