Last night I delivered my first baby. Now, I have been the nurse on over a hundred deliveries... but I'm not referring to assisting the delivery. I'm saying... I delivered a baby... alone. Let me unravel this situation for you.
I was at the nurse's station when a father came out of a room (that was under the care of another nurse) with his eyes wide and he stammered "she needs to push". I immediately followed him into the patient's room and put on a glove to check her. She looked at me and said "The head is coming out!".
"Okay" I thought "two gloves!"
I threw up the sheets and hollered for help - yes, the head had just come out. I checked for a nuchal cord (amazing, considering my anxiety level) and told her to give me another push. Again, I hollered "I need help in room 2 NOW!!!" The baby came out with that final push. Two nurses came running in as I was suctioning out the baby and stimulating her to cry. They ran back out and grabbed the delivery cart and the provider. I clamped the cord and then the doctor appeared on scene. With terribly shaking hands I put baby skin to skin with mom. The provider smiled at me and said "you don't have to hog the deliveries to yourself Connie". She stepped in and delivered the placenta and the patient's nurse also stepped in to assist.
I am SO grateful that everything went as smoothly as it did, without any complications!
4 comments:
HOLY CRAP!! Way to go my dear!! I am glad it was you and not me:)
What a story! Good job!
Dianna
AN AMAZING LIFE EXPERIENCE
Happy for you
and proud!
This story just proves that in a crisis situation, your instincts kicked in and did the deed. Good job, Connie!!!
Post a Comment